A cruise to Singapore will be the highlight of a trip to Asia – it’s a must to spend at least a few days exploring this fascinating city-state and island country.
A cruise via Singapore will take you to some other amazing destinations. Consider combining your Singapore cruise with stop-offs to Thailand, Vietnam, Malaysia, Sri Lanka, India, Dubai or Hong Kong.
Cruises to Singapore – Discover its History
Singapore has an interesting backstory. Founded in 1819, it was a British colony until 1963, spent a brief two years as part of Malaysia, before going its own way and becoming one of the world’s major commercial hubs and the globe’s fourth-biggest financial centre. Nowadays Singapore is inhabited by 5.5 million people, 75% of whom are Chinese. The other 25% is made up of several nationalities, which lends the country a fantastic multiculturalism. Singapore’s four official languages are English, Malay, Mandarin, and Tamil. The country lies off the southern tip of the Malay Peninsula and is made up of more than 60 small islets.
The port of Singapore is a collection of facilities and terminals; and it’s big! Singapore’s port is one of the five busiest in the world as well as the world’s busiest transhipment port. It connects to over 600 other ports in 123 countries over 6 continents. Singapore’s port is so vast because of necessity – the country lacks natural resources.
Singapore, an island city-state is a global financial centre with a tropical climate and multicultural population.